Friday, August 15, 2008

Meme

Thanks to Meredi for tagging me in a moment of profound un-inspiredness. Here's 10 things you don't know about me:

  1. My first ever trip to emergency was to have a blue square of Lego I had stuck up my nose, removed.
  2. For many years I believed Cold Chisel's Saturday Night to be from the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack. This never struck me as odd.
  3. My great, great, great, great, maternal grandfather, Owen Cavanough, was a marine on the Sirius and - according to family history unsubstantiated by any actual record - was the first man ashore from the First Fleet when he jumped out to hold the longboat for Governor Phillip.
  4. For a few years in my youth I went to bed every night worrying that I may have contracted AIDS from cutting myself on a barbed wire fence. I was too embarrassed to have this confirmed but continued to worry nonetheless.
  5. I have danced naked atop Devil's Peak.
  6. I have nightmares every, single, night.
  7. I have eaten more Continental - creamy bacon carbonarra - pasta and sauce than any other person, living or dead. I never wish to do so again.
  8. I would love to be committed to an upper class mental institute set in a stately home built on lush, idyllic grounds. It would be fully and professionally catered with a complete library and fresh Irish linen daily. All the other inmates would be completely catatonic except for a few Napoleons, Cleopatras and Christs for amusement value.
  9. I am obsessed by the inevitability of my own death and have so far failed to come up with a way round it.
  10. I'm trying to develop a facial expression to wear when walking towards someone I don't want to make eye contact with that doesn't look like the one most people use; the rigid and slightly panicky 'I know you're there so I'm staring as hard as I can into the middle distance.' I plan to patent it.

9 Comments:

At August 15, 2008 at 11:02 PM , Blogger Kath Lockett said...

You have nightmares every single night...? How on earth, then, do you find the strength to write such hilarious stuff?

I'm concerned, a bit jealous and very puzzled.....

 
At August 16, 2008 at 10:40 AM , Blogger squib said...

I can relate to number 8. I don't know if you saw the first series of Skins on sbs but there was a place just like that

 
At August 16, 2008 at 10:40 AM , Blogger franzy said...

I have the opposite problem to number ten. I have poor long distance vision and excellent facial recall. Thus, everybody more than thirty metres away looks just like long-lost friends, acquaintances and family and so I'm always waving, smiling, waggling my eyebrows and performing esoteric dances, antique in-joke poses and just-between-you-and-me lewd hand gestures to complete strangers.

 
At August 16, 2008 at 5:27 PM , Blogger Kath Lockett said...

My facial expression is about as successful as Franzy's but for different reasons.

I must have a kind of vacantly happy expression on my mug (must be from growing up in a smallish country town) because I get all kinds of weirdos grinning at me, hugging me (there's some kind of body double called Tracey that everyone keeps mistaking me for) or electing to sit next to me on public transport and loudly telling me their life stories and splattering my face in spittle.

 
At August 16, 2008 at 10:30 PM , Blogger myninjacockle said...

Kath - I cry on the inside...actually I'm just really used to it I guess.

Squib - no I haven't seen it - but stole the Irish Linen part from 'the long dark tea time of the soul'. It's a homage.

Franzy - I always see strangers waving at me, instintctively wave back then realise they're waving at someone behind me. Every time I swear it will never happen to me again - and it has been a good month or so now.

 
At August 18, 2008 at 2:49 PM , Blogger Mad Cat Lady said...

I think your mental instituion idea is better than my moving town and not giving contact details to family plan.

The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul rules. It is my favourite of the two :)

 
At August 18, 2008 at 6:51 PM , Blogger wiretherapy said...

and i thought we would never discuss number 5.

don't you start writing about that bloody chicken..

 
At August 19, 2008 at 11:46 AM , Blogger myninjacockle said...

TINMN - I favoured the idea of prison for a while, but decided I'm not that desperate to opt out of society.
I couldn't pick a favourite - it'd be like picking between Led Zep III and Physical Graffiti.

WT - how about the kangaroo?

 
At August 20, 2008 at 9:10 PM , Blogger wiretherapy said...

oh yeah.. don't mention that either

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home