Sunday, November 16, 2008

Fame at Last


I am going to be a published poet.

Adelaide's Friendly Street Poets hold an annual competition for unpublished poets. They recruit an outside judge, of impeccable pedigree, to select three manuscripts from all (four of) the submissions and then the winners are published in the next installment of their New Poets series. This year my manuscript was one of the three winners and will be published next year in New Poets 14. Hopefully with its correct, singular, title - The Boy Full of Broken Promise.

Judging by the stellar career arcs of the previous thirty-nine winners it is a spring board to fame and fortune. Which is lucky, because several people I've told have asked me - after looking awkward and shifty for a few seconds - if this will help me get anything worthwhile published, or words to that effect.

Don't they get it's all about the love?

I'm still over the moon about it and the vast majority of people have been happy for me, though Knickers is very concerned about her parents reading some of them. I told my year 4 prac students and made them all promise to buy a copy. Bless 'em.

Got to go, my agent is on the phone; probably Hollywood trying to secure the movie rights again.

Like I'd sell out for less than a gold class cinema ticket.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At November 17, 2008 at 10:27 AM , Blogger franzy said...

YYYYYEEESSSS!!!!

That is a great feeling, eh? I'm envious! And full of admiration!
High five?
No, okay, no problem.

Well done - may there be many more.

 
At November 18, 2008 at 11:39 AM , Blogger squib said...

Way to go Rob!

 
At November 18, 2008 at 7:14 PM , Blogger Kath Lockett said...

Yay for you, Myninj, well done! Hows about I buy youse a drink at Franzy's arty farty reading thingy he's got scheduled for 8th Dec?

And you're right - this writing thing is all about the lurve, baby. Why else do we blog?

 
At November 21, 2008 at 10:29 PM , Blogger meli said...

congratulations!

i jumped across here from audrey's cos you made a comment about mostly books. i used to live near there...

i was in new poets 7. it is fun indeed.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home