Friday, April 4, 2008

The Graduate


Knickers, Dad and I attended my graduation ceremony at the Festival Theatre yesterday, an event eight years in the making.
Really glad I went. Made me feel like I had a future. I know, I know, a BA and $5 will get you a cup of coffee. And I have not been deafened by the sound of the career doors opening for me - but I did get to wear a gown, in public.

The guest speaker was Doctor Pamela Ryan, founder of Psychology Beyond Borders (How did it make you feel when the Janjaweed murdered your parents in front of you?) and, despite the fact that she was as mad as a meat-axe and clearly wearing a black tennis dress beneath her academic finery, she was a very inspiring speaker.

One point marred it for me though. Some arse-clown - insecure and desperate for attention because of distant daddy, smothering mummy, chronic bed wetting or just good old fashioned only one testicle - made a dog and pony show of dropping his degree, bending over and slapping his bum, veering over to leer at the good Doctor Ryan then exiting stage right.

There are dozens of reality tv shows all vying to pay people to showcase just how vapid, narcissistic, self-centered and ultimately pointless they truly are. Seriously boyo, go and audition for Australia's Next Corey; you're a shoe in.

Don't people realise that the ability to queue in an orderly fashion while not making a fuss is the keystone of civilization?

Had lunch with the family after. Ben gave me a copy of The Choirboys and Margy gave me a pop-up book of Moby Dick for reasons she explained but are not yet clear to me. Knickers and the Noodle, out of sync with the unrelated present giving, gave me a well-wicked briefcase.

God family are great.

2 Comments:

At April 12, 2008 at 1:16 AM , Blogger franzy said...

A friend of mine on her graduation day lined up quietly and in an orderly fashion and when her name was called, she strode across the stage in her gown, mortar board and sky-blue galoshes with fluffy white clouds on them. She received with the left, shook with the right and exited stage right with a great deal of tittering and fan-fair.

Too much?

 
At April 14, 2008 at 9:45 AM , Blogger myninjacockle said...

No, I'll allow it. She was making her statement (whatever it might be that the sky-blue galoshes crowd make statements about)and not directly saying 'fuck you' to all the other graduands et al.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home