Monday, June 2, 2008

Uber-believer


...there's nothing more distressing or uncomfortable to look at than a philosopher who's thought himself into a corner. And that was the first night I got a good clear look at his corner, his terrible corner, his sad dead-end, where Dad had inoculated himself against ever having anything mystical or religious ever happen to him...I understood he was not just a sceptic who doesn't believe in a sixth sense, but he was an uber-sceptic, who wouldn't trust or believe in the other five either.

A Fraction of the Whole - Steve Toltz
I'm over halfway through this terrifyingly funny book, and finding some of the author's scathing diatribes cut a little close to the bone when he derides religion, parenthood, love and the aspirations of the general population.

It would be great if I could laugh along thinking, 'Hyuk, other folk sure are dumb-stupid,' but mostly I find I am the other folk.

I identify with Martin, the dad, in the above extract, but at the other end of the spectrum; I'm an uber-believer. Not so much in raiki massage, Buddhism or tarot; but in the status quo.

I've always felt bad whenever I've examined traffic rules, the gear ratios on my pushy, the layout of stock at the supermarket, and been unable to fault them. Likewise I've never been able to contribute anything of note to a work suggestion box. I find everything is the perfect system for right now.

Sure things can change and require adjustment. But the fact is that better minds than mine have been looking at all of these things for centuries now, and pretty much cracked it.

Also this doesn't apply to larger issues of social justice. Hell, no-one seems capable of working that shit out.

So does this mean I'm incapable of thinking outside the box? Maybe. Probably. 'Though I reckon the ability to accept that other people, occasionally, may just possibly know what they're talking about, is also an advantage in life.

Anyway. Do yourself a favour. Read the book.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At June 3, 2008 at 8:03 AM , Blogger Kath Lockett said...

I'll add it to the list of books still unread on my bookshelf....

I'm the same as you and the fictional father, methinks. As much as I'd like to say I can think outside of the square, I really don't. It's hard enough remembering to find some clean clothes and my housekeys without keeping my inner mind open to ESP and oncoming traffic.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home