Saturday, January 19, 2008

An Ordinary Love

I am unshaven with the sweat from training

Still wet on my skin

I park on the west end of Hindley Street.

Conscious of the scolding

My wife would supply for not parking closer

But I like to walk

She would also chide me for

Not erecting the sun shield

I can never be bothered

I leave a message on her phone

Saying I’m getting my watch fixed

Which I intend to do

But I really want to buy a book of poetry

I try to reckon in my head

If this is a white lie

And what her response will be

My phone jangles

Her voice is lazy

‘Come home. Let’s do something.’

I hesitate in the bright sunshine

Dad bought me the watch

It has needed fixing for a while

But Imprints is closer

So

I buy two collections on the fly

(And later will regret only one)

March back to the car

Fast as my thongs will allow

Thinking;

What is this ordinary love?

Sharing my head with another

Looking through her eyes

Conscious of her every whim

And fancy?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home