Thursday, May 8, 2008

I Dodge Death Again

From ABC News
'Year 4 student Aiden Bott received serious head injuries when a branch from an african mahogany tree fell on him as he ate his lunch in a St Mary's school ground in Darwin's city centre. The year 4 student died after a week in intensive care.'
Had that tree branch fallen some twenty-five years earlier it might have been me and not poor Aiden taking the deep six holiday.
After moving from Port Lincoln to Darwin in late 1983 I spent one miserable term at St Mary's under the apathetic tutelage of Mr 'Dickflop' O'Brien. I missed my friends, it was the build-up, I was about to enter high school - I may well have embraced the falling limb poised like the Sword of Damocles for all these long years.

Other places I have cheated death:
  • Phuket: One year prior to the tsunami.
  • Brixton: Several weeks prior to the nail bomber
  • Mitcham Train Station: today, when a train rumbled past exactly where I'd crossed the line only minutes before.
  • The Universe: where I missed the Big Bang by a mere 15 billion years!


2 Comments:

At May 9, 2008 at 9:50 AM , Blogger Kath Lockett said...

Geewhilikers Myninge, you surely have nine lives.

How do my stats stack up:
* Had a car bomb go off in my street in London in 91
* Dodged a taxi-cab rapist (again in London) by not having my seatbelt on, smacking him one in the snout and running the hell out of there
* A nutjob ran into my year 11 English Class (1984, Murray Bridge High School), telling us he had a bomb. We were eventually ushered outside but the teacher had to stay in there (poor Mr E) until he surrendered to the police about an hour later
* P-plater hooned around a corner on a gravel road in Victoria and approached us - doing way over 120 - on the wrong side of the road. We ended up in a ditch, hearts racing, dust still in the air. P plater roared past, oblivious.
* Eating at Melbourne's infamous Rajah Sahib restaurant and then seeing them exposed on Today tonight a fortnight later

Oh dear, I think I need a bex and a lie down...

 
At May 11, 2008 at 5:25 PM , Blogger franzy said...

My only shot near The Big One was being near Interlaken before all those canyoners got washed into the lake.
I've never had so many thankful, loving phonecalls!

Big Bang could be stretching it...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home