Monday, March 16, 2009

Launch



The book launch has been a long time coming, and kind of like Christmas when I was a kid, my body can only sustain continually heightened levels of excitement for only so long before my adrenal glands give out. That and the major assignments I had due last week actually made for one tired and stressed out little camper by the time I rose to take the mike and give my first ever public reading.

Oh brother was it fun though. Yes I could handle superstardom, but have probably picked the wrong line of work.

Mike Rann was initially, possibly, going to be the guest of honour and he quickly palmed it off to Chloe Fox; who with her recent parliamentary promotion decided she had better things to do and in the end Vini Ciccarello, member for Norwood, drew the short straw.

I'll paraphrase her speech here:

'Well I don't actually like poetry and I only got back from a late lunch this afternoon and found that uppity Fox bitch had palmed this off to me so I haven't had time to read it - but I'm sure it's all very nice blah blah blah. Vote Rann!'

Still we had a great crowd and my co-authors and I had an absolute ball enjoying our shared fifteen minutes of fame. I've had a few reports back that people who also don't read poetry have read some of mine and enjoyed them and that is good enough for me.

And, as my friend Leila said, 'I can't believe you got to say "cunt" in front of all these people and get clapped for it.'

Labels:

4 Comments:

At March 17, 2009 at 10:45 AM , Blogger squib said...

Glad it went well and kudos to Vini for being honest

May you have many more

 
At March 17, 2009 at 1:40 PM , Blogger Kath Lockett said...

I've just ordered the book Rob and am looking forward to reading it!

Vini's not a bad old girl - was our local member and presented young Sapphire with abookvoucher when she'd read 140 books in reception for the Premier's reading challenge.

 
At March 18, 2009 at 11:55 PM , Blogger meli said...

congratulations! and thanks for visiting my blog! i don't think i know steve (though i'm awfully good at forgetting names). i am however a good friend of aidan coleman and juliet paine, who edited the forthcoming (?) friendly st reader. we were all undergraduate english students at the university of adelaide back in the day. i'm coming over to adelaide for a visit soon and will try to get to the may reading.

 
At March 30, 2009 at 11:39 AM , Blogger Kath Lockett said...

Your poems are excellent Rob and I hope that one day you get your very own book out!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home