Thursday, March 19, 2009

New School

I am soon to start my final prac. Six weeks in a year 6/7 class, and I've been in a few times this week to get to know the students and teacher.

Funny thing for someone who wants to be a teacher, but I still have this fear of kids, that they are all self-centred little beasts who will rup me apart if given half a chance. It really isn't the case. Every school I've worked at I've found them bright, keen to learn and - generally - pleasant.

That is not to say that they can't be terribly cruel to each other, and it is heartbreaking as an adult to witness the social exclusion of some and to know that there is nothing you can really do to stop it. I'm not saying I'd not interevene in a situation where someone was being bullied, or that they bring it on themselves, just that kids have their own society, one of the only things that the adult world can't dictate to them, and we are powerless to recast the order of it.

First off I still have to graduate, which will be tricky enough, but not I fear, as tricky as getting a job. The idea that teaching positions are falling from the trees being a bit of a furphy. But all that done I am really looking forward to being a professional, to having my own class to get to know and work with over a year and be able to fill their heads with trivia that everyone else (in my family)just places straight in the Useless Information file.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At March 19, 2009 at 8:40 PM , Blogger Mad Cat Lady said...

My teachers always made it worth going to school - they were great.

I remember my maths teacher acting out Monty Python sketches for us.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

 
At March 20, 2009 at 12:47 PM , Blogger franzy said...

Actually, it's entirely accurate that teaching jobs are falling of trees.
Literal trees.
In drought-ravaged rural Australia. THAT'S where the teaching and learning action is!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home